Do you experience severe pain during sex, painful urination, pain in your upper and lower abdomen, foul smelling vaginal discharge 🤔? These are all symptoms of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID).
PID is an infection of the organs of a women’s reproductive system which includes the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and cervix. It’s usually caused by a sexually transmitted infection (STI), like chlamydia or gonorrhea.
However, it’s symptoms aren’t limited to those stated above, irregular bleeding, high fevers 🤒, vomiting, fainting, sharp abdominal pain could also be related to PID .
Risk factors of PID include;
- 💓 Practicing unprotected sex
- 💓 Having multiple sexual partners
- 💓 Being sexually active below the age of 25
- 💓 Sexual engagements with someone who has multiple sexual partners
- 💓 Douching, this is washing or cleaning your vagina with a mixture of fluids
In order to reduce the risk of PID, one is advised to;
- 💓 Practice safe sex
- 💓 Get tested
- 💓 Ask your partner to get tested also
- 💓 Talk to your doctor about contraception
- 💓 Avoid douching
PID can cause serious problems 😩 if not treated, problems such as ectopic pregnancy 🤰🏽, infertility, chronic pelvic pain and tubo-ovarian abscess. If you notice any of the symptoms above, please make sure to visit your doctor 👩🏽⚕.