Gastritis is the general term that refers to the inflammation of the stomach mucosa (lining). It may occur as a short episode or maybe of a long episode. Gastritis is believed to affect about half of world population. The disease becomes more common as people get older.
Some Causes of gastritis include;
- Infection with Helicobacter pylori
- Excessive use of NSAIDS
- Alcohol abuse
- ☯ Autoimmune problems
- ♒ Radiation therapy
- ☣ Crohn disease
- Many people with gastritis experience have no symptoms at all. Other symptoms are;
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Early satiety
- Unexplained weight loss
- If gastritis is caused by H. pylori a combination of antibiotics such as amoxicillin and clarithromycin.
- Medications such as antacids, H2 blockers, or proton pump inhibitors are also used in treatment.
- If gastritis is due to NSAIDs these may be stopped.
- Modification of dietary lifestyle
Foods to avoid
- Citrus fruits
- Spicy foods
- Trans fat, commonly found in refined foods .
- High antioxidant foods
- Probiotic foods
- Foods high in fiber and vitamin B 12
- Food rich in omega 3 fatty acid .